Tuesday 2 August 2011

Beanz don't always mean Heinz

Yesterday I picked the very first of my runner beans and we had them for supper. They were tender, juicy, succulent, and oh, so tasty! I think it must be the first time in my life that I've ever eaten all my vegetables before touching anything else on my plate! This vegetable growing is definitely a good thing, once I got over the trauma of having to destroy caterpillars.

It really goes against the grain to destroy something that I know will grow into such a pretty creature, but there, such is life. Either they eat, or I eat, and after losing three whole cauliflowers to them I have now become ruthless.
Speaking of caterpillars, the most ghastly thing happened the other evening. I picked some curly kale and most unfortunately forgot to soak it in salt water before cooking. When supper time came, I spooned some onto my plate, and found two freshly steamed caterpillars lying amongst the leaves. I did not eat any curly kale that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment