Friday 21 October 2011

Trafalgar Day

Last night I discovered that today is Trafalgar Day: the anniversary of the day on which Admiral Nelson lost his life, after leading the British navy to a glorious victory over the French and Spanish during the Napoleonic wars. Did you know Nelson had only twenty-seven ships, to the Franco-Spanish thirty-three? And that, whilst they lost twenty-two of those thirty-three, the English lost no ships at all?
What a great opportunity to indulge in some national pride!

I'd like to celebrate this great day in Britain's history, but it's rather short notice to get hold of any fireworks (my first idea), and I don't have any red-blue-and-white bunting (second idea). So I will just have to settle for opening a bottle of extra-special apple juice that I've been keeping for just such an occasion, and perhaps make something special for pudding. Oh, and before I eat and drink, I will read this prayer that Nelson prayed before going into battle; the battle in which he lost his life in the cause of liberty:

“MAY THE GREAT GOD, whom I worship, grant to my country and for the benefit of Europe in general, a great and glorious victory: and may no misconduct, in anyone, tarnish it: and may humanity after victory be the predominant feature in the British Fleet.
For myself Individually, I commit my life to Him who made me and may His blessing light upon my endeavours for serving my Country faithfully. To Him I resign myself and the just cause which is entrusted to me to defend. 
AMEN AMEN AMEN”

Amen indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment